Posts tagged Jim Anderton
True to form, this post is VERY Black and White.
I now have proof that Jim Anderton, Christchurch Mayoral Candidate, is breaking the election rules, and all over the place. And while some may think the rules around advertising and signage and advertising are trivial, Jim has been playing the political game for over 40 years now – he knows the rules and is knowingly breaking them. (As an aside, he was one of those that supported the draconian measures introduced by the Labour Government – the Electoral Finance Act 2007). I even found (quite easily) that Jim’s party has broken the rules on this before.
Anyway, here’s the details:
Now it’s VERY fair to say that Bob has not been a popular Mayor with many. Some of the major financial decisions of the council (that Bob, as Mayor supported) have been very unpopular such as:
- The decision to buy property off Dave Henderson (or as many call it the Bailout of Henderson by CCC)
- The decision to buy the Ellerslie Flow show and relocate it to Christchurch
I don’t intend to go into the details of each decision, but suffice it to say for many the decisions appeared highly questionable, and at worst a complete waste of millions of (rate payers) dollars. I will comment on the last one and say buying an event that has the name of an Auckland Suburb and then moving it seams, well, STUPID to me. You could just offer to pay the people that set Ellerslie up to set one up for you – you still get all the IP without the name (which you don’t want anyway), but for a fraction of the cost. But yeah, lets move on.
At the end of July 2010 it was pretty clear Jim would win, with Stuff reporting on the Christchurch Mayoral race:
A UMR research poll conducted in Christchurch last month showed long-serving MP Jim Anderton comfortably leading the race for the mayoralty against incumbent Bob Parker. Some 61% of those polled said that in a head-to-head race they would vote for the Wigram MP, while only 30% said they would vote for Parker.
Politics aside, my biggest concerns with Jim Anderton has been:
- His arrogance that he can be a part time Mayor and Part time MP, and the cost to the rate payer and tax payer if he does this
- He’s out of touch. He’s 72, and has views so tainted by personal experience that IMHO, he’s not fit for ANY public office where he gets to make decisions about controlling the behavior of others (his archaic views on drug control are just one of these)
My biggest concerns with Bob is that:
- Bob wastes ratepayers money on big projects, and does what so many in local government do, and does stuff and builds things that’s more about leaving a legacy than actually helping the ratepayers and local community.
I do want to expand on my first concern about Jim, that he thinks he can be both Mayor NZ’s second biggest city AND an MP/leader of a political party at the same time (and be paid for both). (more…)