Posts tagged India
Ok .. a quick post which will be of interest to only a very limited audience, but I think VERY useful for those that it’s relevant to.
In a nutshell, almost all visitors to India need a visa. Unlike many Western countries that have visa waver programs in place with NZ, India requires a visa to be obtained in 99% of cases, prior to your arrival in India. This means filling out a form, sending it in to the nearest Indian embassy, with your passport, and the $60 US equivalent and then waiting a few weeks for it to be sent back.
Luckily (or so I thought) New Zealander’s get a special exemption, being one of five countries that are allowed to obtain Visa on Arrival. Cool I thought – I will just do that.
Ummm, no, not quite. In a nutshell: DON’T DO IT and here’s why:
- It may be a visa on arrival, but its not an INSTANT via on arrival. It took 3 hours (and this was at 2am when only one other person was applying)
- Its quite a new thing from what I can tell. Signs are so limited at Immigration, and few staff know about it in India, so you end up queuing 3 times before you even get to the right place
- You still need two colour photos, proof of address etc, all the things you need for a normal visa – so all you are doing is putting off what you COULD have done prior to arrival, but are now doing them when you arrive – and anyone who has been to India will know they work at their own pace.
- Most visas are more of an admin thing – but this is a full on interview (by 3 diff people), and then 5 diff staff filling our forms (by hand) while you wait .. and wait.
- Did I mention it takes ages?
So yes, it works, but no, don’t do it. Be organised and apply for a visa to India before you go. (full info on Indian visas on this page) The only exception would be if you want to pop over to India on short notice – I guess it’s handy being a Kiwi then!
Black and White Version: Visa on Arrival for Kiwis entering India does work, but is so slow you are FAR better off applying for a visa the normal way.
Hi Honey, I’m home!
It’s been a while since I have posted here, since I have been a wee tour of the world. Well not quite the whole world, a holiday through 4 countries: Canada, Germany, India and
Bangkok Thailand (thanks Glen – Bangkok isn’t a country!). The emphasis was on Canada and India time wise.
But while I haven’t been blogging (I prefer to holiday first and blog after the fact), I have a whole range of post ideas coming up, including:
- Why Kiwis should NOT get the so called “Visa on Arrival” in India (Now posted)
- The black and white travel low-down for India
- The black and white travel low-down for Canada
- The black and white travel low down on how to bargain in places like China, India and Thailand (although they all do differ)
- Why I think coffee is crap in certain countries
- A review of Thai airways (completed – found here)
- An update on Lufthansa (and it’s way better than it used to be!)
- Why taxi drivers in Bangkok are so annoying (a bitch post)
Oh, one more post will follow too – the updated review of the Golf-R, since I get mine in 2 days! (only a 6 month delay!). So I might be doing a wee test drive – for the whole weekend Update: Updated owner’s review of the Golf-R here.
Black and White Version: I have been away, but back. Posts to follow.