Posts tagged evolution
I am updating my post on my new eating regime, with daily info on what I am eating, and how I am feeling (the important bit).
Some observations I would make about reactions from friends that hear I am doing it:
- It’s clear there is LOTS of mis information out there about what to eat to be healthy. Lots of people talk about protein, carbs, fat etc, but not a lot of talk about FOOD.
- The vast majority of people think a diet is to lose weight (I ain’t trying to lose anything here)
- People seam to get the basic premise: eat food not stuff; eat food we were, in evolutionary terms, designed to eat; don’t eat plant foods that tries not to be eaten1 (i.e. has chemicals that fight proper digestion)
- Most people think fat is bad. A few think it’s just saturated fat that’s bad. Only a handful get that neither is overly true – if there is one bad fat, it’s transfat (an unsaturated fat).
- Almost no one gets that the worst things in western diets is sugar. If one thing is evil, it’s sugar! (fructose being the worst).
- People really do want black and white stuff – this is good, that is bad. Life ain’t like that (yep – and I do see the irony about this blog (whiteandblack) blogging about that – life AIN’T like that, but people WANT it to be – hence this blog)
Note 1: It was pointed out to me by a few people that almost all animals try not to be eaten (mainly by running away if they get a chance), so the distinction is made above about plants that try not to be eaten. AKA grains, or potatoes (try eating one raw and see what happens).
The more I read about the Paleo diet the more it seams clear that a number of proponents believe (limited) diary is OK, like PaNu. Also most allow small amounts of caffeine (aka coffee) and alcohol – not because they are inherently good for you, or somehow a Paleo thing, but just coz they know people will consume them anyway, and they aren’t that bad for you when one looks at the big picture.
Update 22 Feb: My log now has a “cheats” section for each day – ie how well did I stick to the strict Paleo way.
Black and White Version: I am still learning about this area, but it’s clear what I thought was fact relating to healthy eating (e.g. low fat, high complex carb) was WAY wrong.
Anyway, I am trying a Paleo (Paleolithic) diet, which I started yesterday (Wednesday 16th February 2011). For those that haven’t heard of this it’s based around the idea that we should eat what we have been designed to eat, and did eat, for hundreds of thousands of years, and cut out all the modern crap that has been introduced in relatively recent times (in evolutionary terms that means the last 10,000 years or so). So that means eating meat, veges, and to a lesser degree fruit and nuts. No grains (yep, no bread) even wholemeal types, rice, and of course sugar is just evil (mind you it always has been eh?). Dairy is out too.
I am trying this eating plan for a number of reasons:
- It fits with my philosophy of exercise – do what we (as humans) are designed to do, not what some guy invented or discovered last week
- It makes sense to me from what I have read so far
- It’s not extreme in that I don’t need to change my eating patterns in any massive way (although some bits will be more of a challenge, like breakfast)
- It’s based on back to basics – eating FOOD not STUFF. There are no special foods to buy (no one tries to sell you any), it’s about eating proper food and eating how we are designed to eat – good food!
So, I have decided to try it for 30 days. See how I feel, see how my workouts go, see how my body reacts.
For more info see a great resource by Robb Wolf on the Paleo diet. I’ve recently read his book The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet – highly recommended – an easy read, entertaining yet highly informative and based on science.
Anyway .. I am gonna give it a go, and provide updates here. Table of progress last updated Friday 25th Feb 2011