Web page reviews
Reviewing Web Pages
From time to time I review web pages (coz so much out there is so bad, but there’s some cool stuff too!)
Consistent with this site’s White and Black/ Black and White philosophy, I keep it pretty simple, but real. So, here’s the system I use to rate web sites:
- First of all I will state what I think the purpose of the site is (or at least SHOULD/COULD be). (some brief words eg “provide info, sell widgets, show the product is leading edge or whatever.) This is needed for step 2.
- I rate how well the site meets it’s purpose (you can see why I do “1″ now!). This will be a “Fail, Pass or Pass with merit”
- I rate how user friendly it is. This will be “Unfriendly, Friendly or Super Friendly”
- I rate how consistent the web page is to the product/service being sold (ie One might expect the Apple site to look modern, the coke site to be fun, and a lawyers web page to look professional. If a lawyers web site looked fun, it might not work so well!). This will be a “Pass or Fail”
- Overall comment: No more than 4 words.
Example (and a real review):
- Web Site: www.apple.com
- Purpose: Provide info on apple products and services. Sell product/service. Promote Apple as a leader in the hardware and software space.
- Meets purpose: Pass with merit (although it does get more cluttered each time I visit)
- User friendly: Friendly (I don’t get lost too often)
- Consistent with Brand: Pass (for sure – very “Apple” like!)
- Overall Comment: Well thought out.
See here for a full list of reviews (including web sites).