Media writing stories about nothing (well more earthquakes).
Today the NZ Herald had a headline Quake demolitions anger ex-owners.
In it they quote various sources including John Key, the some ex-quake destroyed house owners, and Labour’s spokesperson for earthquake response, Lianne Dalziel.
The central issue reported is:
The first of the red-zoned homes will begin being destroyed today, with a trial demolition of 11 government-bought properties taking place on Seabreeze Close, Waireka Lane and Kokopu Lane in Bexley .
The properties will be cleared over a four-week period.
And some people aren’t happy with this. The EX-owners wanted to be told about this (consulted even?, I can’t tell from the story). Umm, over what? And why?
You got offered compensation, you agreed to it, you got paid it, and then moved out. Move on, let go.
Sure you can always have an interest in a former home, just like I always check out the house where I was bought up as a kid if I drive past it (it has a new owner now), but I dont expect anyone to CONSULT me over it.
Something we all (well I hope all!) have learnt from the Christchurch quakes is that it’s just STUFF. What matters is people, and lives. Sure having ones home destroyed is never nice, but it’s a FORMER home. Which an EX-Owner has issues with. This is not the story they make it out to be.
Once again Key shows that he gets the issue, and how most former home owners would react, and was quoted as saying:
…for the most part, I suspect there’ll be many who will have said “it’s been a terrible situation but I’m building myself a new home or I’ve bought a new home, and that’s the Government’s problem not mine’.”
Black and White Version: Media are making a story out of nothing (again). And Labour are just stirring the hornets nest to try to get a response. -ve -ve -ve. Fail for both of you.
Hat Tip: Mr Payne – thanks Mike!
- Big Ben on a lean? No, media got that headline wrong (again).
- Christchurch City Council’s Draft Development Plan
- Christchurch earthquake – the media are leeches.
- Misleading Press, and scaremongering Labour MP
- I live in Christchurch and love it!
- My take on Ken Ring, John Campbell, tax increases, portaloos and all things earthquake
- Christchurch Earthquake – what can I do?
- Christchurch earthquake – 5 days on – the small stuff
- Christchurch Earthquake – part II
- Drinking age in NZ – there isn’t one!