Big Ben on a lean? No, media got that headline wrong (again).
Today the NZ Herald reports that Pisa expert says Big Ben leaning. Using the text Monitoring instruments suggest the tower’s tilt has increased by about a centimetre a year since 2003 below a picture of the tower.
I am gonna call them on that one and say I can guarantee it’s not. How do I know this? Coz as anyone who’s done a tour of London knows Big Ben is NOT the clock tower, it’s the big bell inside it. So the headline should read Tower hosting Big Ben is on a lean says Pisa expert. (or something like it).
Sure, it doesn’t REALLY matter to 99% of people, and lots of people do call the tower Big Ben, BUT journalists do this for a job – this isn’t a twitter post, or a FaceBook status update. They need to do their homework.
End of rant.
Black and White Version: Sometimes Journalists are lazy. Sometimes that annoys me. Sometimes I blog about it.
- More non-news, based on very sloppy research
- Media writing stories about nothing (well more earthquakes).
- Misleading Press, and scaremongering Labour MP
- Drinking age in NZ – there isn’t one!
- Vodafone – the good and the bad and the bullshit
- AirNZ – Virgin Blue alliance dead?
- Newspapers reporting non news
- Is shopping in New Zealand a rip off?
- Now that’s how you do an iPad app for a newspaper NZ Herald (and how not to do it AirNZ!)
- Grindr, gay men, sex and the NZ Herald