Paleo Diet – updated log
I am updating my post on my new eating regime, with daily info on what I am eating, and how I am feeling (the important bit).
Some observations I would make about reactions from friends that hear I am doing it:
- It’s clear there is LOTS of mis information out there about what to eat to be healthy. Lots of people talk about protein, carbs, fat etc, but not a lot of talk about FOOD.
- The vast majority of people think a diet is to lose weight (I ain’t trying to lose anything here)
- People seam to get the basic premise: eat food not stuff; eat food we were, in evolutionary terms, designed to eat; don’t eat plant foods that tries not to be eaten1 (i.e. has chemicals that fight proper digestion)
- Most people think fat is bad. A few think it’s just saturated fat that’s bad. Only a handful get that neither is overly true – if there is one bad fat, it’s transfat (an unsaturated fat).
- Almost no one gets that the worst things in western diets is sugar. If one thing is evil, it’s sugar! (fructose being the worst).
- People really do want black and white stuff – this is good, that is bad. Life ain’t like that (yep – and I do see the irony about this blog (whiteandblack) blogging about that – life AIN’T like that, but people WANT it to be – hence this blog)
Note 1: It was pointed out to me by a few people that almost all animals try not to be eaten (mainly by running away if they get a chance), so the distinction is made above about plants that try not to be eaten. AKA grains, or potatoes (try eating one raw and see what happens).
The more I read about the Paleo diet the more it seams clear that a number of proponents believe (limited) diary is OK, like PaNu. Also most allow small amounts of caffeine (aka coffee) and alcohol – not because they are inherently good for you, or somehow a Paleo thing, but just coz they know people will consume them anyway, and they aren’t that bad for you when one looks at the big picture.
Update 22 Feb: My log now has a “cheats” section for each day – ie how well did I stick to the strict Paleo way.
Black and White Version: I am still learning about this area, but it’s clear what I thought was fact relating to healthy eating (e.g. low fat, high complex carb) was WAY wrong.
- Paleo Diet – an update
- Christchurch Earthquake – part II
- Paleo Diet – a 30 day trial
- Drunk women are targets? – WELL DUH!
- Drinking age in NZ – there isn’t one!
- A recap of the (non) news of the week
- A black and white world – by Richard
- Gym Memberships Sale
- 2Degrees goes 3G
- AbCirclePro is crap and here is proof