AirNZ – the black and the white
Today I want to give the black and white version (or the good and the bad, or the bouquet and the brickbat if you prefer) on AirNZ.
The Black (bad bad AirNZ)
- The new fees for using credit cards etc as payment methods online. I agree with DPF on Kiwiblog and Lance Wiggs. I don’t mind if you add a few $ to all tickets, but object to extra “fees” for everything all the time
- They STILL haven’t fixed the automatic adding of travel insurance for online bookings (i.e. you have to opt out). VERY annoying, and I personally think it’s as close to deceptive as you can get without crossing the line
- Having taxes and landing fees as extras. I know a lot of airlines do this, but it’s quite simply wrong (IMHO). Extras should be things I can choose to have or not. I can’t choose to not pay a landing tax or a security fee, so as far as I am concerned, as a customer, it’s just a cost of doing business for the airline, so it should be added it into the ticket price and be done with it.* The same applies to fuel surcharges of the early 2000′s. What next a cabin crew wages surcharge because he crew got a pay rise last week? Stop all the rubbish and just have ONE fee for your basic get me there service and any extras must be OPTIONAL add ons, not compulsory items. I think this should be regulated by the Commerce Comission so that businesses can’t have extras charges for things that are really just part of the core product (IMHO, it’s like renting a car, and having an extra fee to rent the steering wheel!)
* There is actually one major reason they won’t want to do this. Those using air-points to pay for tickets are required to pay for these extra fees with cash on top of their air-points payment. This can be $100 or so for a return trip to OZ, or a few hundred for a return trip to the US, so it would add up to tens of thousands of dollars (possibly a hundred thousand+) for the airline – not something they would want to give up in a hurry.
Update: Here is the link for AirNZ’s new fees for Credit Cards etc.
AirNZ listen. Today I received a letter telling me they are returning space+ (or a version of it) to the reconfigured one class Trans Tasman A320 planes.
I see a few online rants about the removal of space plus (which btw I thought was a simple and very good idea when they introduced it on their domestic and short haul international).
But I take my hat of to AirNZ for listening. As quoted in the letter:
Last week I invited feedback from travelers who experienced the first Seats to Suit Services. The vast majority of the feedback related to the value of additional legroom on an A320 …
… we’ll be making a change to the seating configuration on our A320 to provide a larger zone of seats with significantly increased legroom.”
Well done AirNZ. You changed something, got feedback and responded with a positive and customer friendly solution. And I happen to agree – it’s a small thing, but that extra 2-3′ makes all the difference!
Black and White Version: AirNZ’s product gets better by the day. Their online practices continue to get worse.
Hat tip: My friend Ben M who told me about the AirNZ surcharge well before anyone else blogged about it, well done Ben!
- South Africian Airways – Review
- More cool stuff, and oh, I am back!
- AirNZ – cell phone on flights. AHHHHHHHH!
- AirNZ Gay Kiss (that wasn’t) now banned
- (Random) stuff I like
- Kiwiblog and DPF’s reaction to a dole bludger
- $14 for a movie and a glass of wine (oh, and they flew me back from Sydney too)
- Christchurch earthquake, insurance and milking sympathy
- AirNZ – Virgin Blue alliance dead?
- Now that’s how you do an iPad app for a newspaper NZ Herald (and how not to do it AirNZ!)