AirNZ – Rob Fyfe has style
Yesterday I was on of my regular domestic flights within New Zealand, and of course flew AirNZ.
A wee surprise was that Rob Fyfe, AirNZ’s CEO was on the flight, no big deal I hear you say, well maybe not, except he pitched in and helped serve the tea/coffe and snacks (yes AirNZ still does this).
A couple of things to comment on here:
- He’s VERY down to earth for a CE of a major company. He clearly was an “extra” (as they had enuf crew) but just did the job of a normal crew member and was very personable.
- He has EXCELLENT dress sense, and this wasn’t just coz he was wearing the same brand of jeans as me (True Religion). He also had a D&G jacket that suited him to a t, and very snazzy shoes
- He’s actually a fully trained crew (legitimately). This is done for lots of reasons, but one is that in case of a strike, management can crew aircraft legitimately. It’s also a very nice touch.
His approachability actuality reminds me of John Key (that’s NZ’s Prime Minister in case any non Kiwis are reading) in a way. Clearly successful (both personally and financially), has a good sense of humour, and down to earth and approachable. Speaking of which I am really impressed how John key goes out of his way to say hi to those around him when he gets on a plane. Very real, very genuine, and very kiwi (this is John Key’s web site here)
Its awesome I live in a country where the PM (and for that matter the CE of our national airline) chat with us common folk, in fact one that goes out of his way to do it (and not just in front of cameras). I regularly
accost, chat to John (I call him John, coz if I called him “J-man” he might look at me funny), at the airport when I see him, I this so he remembers me when I write him letters . Try getting withing 50m of the President of the US at an airport and I think you might get arrested. In fact try BEING at the same airport – they normally close the whole city!
Black and White version: New Zealand is an awesome place to live. AirNZ and NZ also have very approachable and very kiwi CE’s (the PM is kinda the CE of NZ right?)
PS: If you like NZ as much as I do, you can of course join the NZ is the best country in the world FaceBook group – everything has a FaceBook group
- My submission on the marriage equality bill
- More cool stuff, and oh, I am back!
- AirNZ – cell phone on flights. AHHHHHHHH!
- Golf-R – review 2 weeks in
- Labour and National – Recent Economic Policy Announcements
- AirNZ Gay Kiss (that wasn’t) now banned
- AirNZ – the black and the white
- (Random) stuff I like
- $14 for a movie and a glass of wine (oh, and they flew me back from Sydney too)
- AirNZ – Virgin Blue alliance dead?